Manaus-- Day 1

Sunday, May 25, 2008

April 16, 2002

Left the CTM this morning at 7:00 am. Took a five hour flight on TAM airlines and met President Campbell and the APs at the Manaus airport.

President Campbell is a big man. Big in Body, big in Heart, and big in Spirit. He may have the most infectious smile I've ever come across, and he makes you feel like family the instant you meet him. Our first meeting consisted of his meaty hand engulfing mine and then pulling me in close for a very fatherly hug. "Welcome to Manaus, Elder."

Elders Brown, Constantino, and Marmarato (the APs) are each as different as the regions they come from. Brown's a lanky kid, looks like a baseball player. Lean and wears glasses, but with an edge to him. Comes from some small town in Utah by way of another state, and looks like he's been baked in an oven for two years. Holds himself erect always and let's you know without telling you that he's in charge.

Constantino's from Rio de Janeiro, and that accent is thick. Slursh his "S"es like any good Carioca, and has a deep rumbling laugh to match his powerful voice. Man could be a CEO, a motivational speaker, or a teacher. Inspires confidence, and exudes cockiness. Probably rolled around the Copa Cabana in a Porsche...

Marmarato. Dear soul. Took me aside at the airport after hearing me struggle with Portugues, just looked me in the eye and said "You speak like a Brazilian." No one could have said anything better to me at the time. He's from a little interior city in the state of Sao Paulo...ears like handle bars take your eyes immediately away from his face, but as soon as you look back he's got a crooked grin and a sparkle in his eyes that makes you want to either hang out with him, follow him around and just watch him work, or give him a hug. Never heard from him since.

After meeting this gang at the airport, they drove us to President Campbell's house for lunch and sorvete (ice cream). It was great--something they call "cupuacu"--tasted like lemon, but better. Caught sight of a Lord of the Rings poster, and for a minute, I allowed myself to think about home. Nostalgia and Homesickness walk hand in hand.

Then, still sitting around the couches in the Campbell's spacious living room, we had a testimony meeting, and then drove to the mission office to receive some training on how to get trained. Long, five hours of training.

Had my first interview with President Campbell. We chatted for a bit, he asked me about my testimony and my upbringing. I asked him to give me a trainer who would "teach me how to work HARD." (That was something my Dad suggested. His trainer didn't set the greatest tone for him in Norway and that affected his entire mission.)

At that, President Campbell's eyes lit up a bit and he said, a bit ominously, "I think I know just the person for you...."

We spent the night at a cramped little house across the street from the mission office with about 15-18 other Elders waiting to be transferred. I slept...well, tried to sleep on a mattress on the ground. As intimidated and scared as I was...I spent most of the night staring at the ceiling, trying to ignore the mosquitoes, and wondering if life for the next two years would be the same.

All in all, though, I can't wait to start working.

This is going to be... interesting.

0 comments: